2022: I Proudly Race with BASE Performance #whythisteam

 


I came for the salt but stayed for the family.


As we move into the new year with new goals, a new lease on priorities, and a renewed fire inside to get back to doing things we love, this year I decided to return to the BASE Performance race team for a number of reasons. 

I joined BASE back in 2017 after trying out the BASE salts and having my hiney saved on a long hot run.  I reached out to Matt Miller, the owner of BASE, and told him how grateful I was for his product.  He replied to me and mentioned that they have an ambassador team and if I would like to apply he could provide me the link.  So I did and the rest was history!

I took 3 years off  racing for BASE as I because a brand ambassador for a Women's only race team, but I always stayed connected with Matt and the BASE family as a whole.  

Over the last 2 years, I have doubled down my support of BASE and Matt specifically because of the open heart and arms that Matt and his wife Lauralee have wrapped around the greater endurance sport community and the BASE team specifically - there is no expectation of performance, only to be the best versions of ourselves and ambassadors of sport for all, and when that becomes difficult to know that there are people in the Team, many who we have only met online, who are ready to lift us up and help us along the way when we struggle. 

Years ago, when a hurricane messed up the bike course at Ironman North Carolina cutting it short, Matt had people line up trainers and arranged for whoever wanted to finish up the 112 mile bike to do so, cheering them all on as they completed the full mileage.  What a sight to see all these people on trainers finishing up miles that they were cut short - that would not have happened without Matt and BASE.

When my 2018 Ironman Florida was not going to happen due to the venue change, Matt offered up his lodging so that I could have a place to stay if I was able to make the event afterall.  That would not have been possible for me without Matt and BASE.

And just as recently as this year when a local triathlon teammate (non BASE) of mine had an incident with their bike in transport to the Boulder70.3 rendering it unusable, Matt loaned him his bike to use - never having even met the man. This would not have been possible without Matt and BASE. 

What I know about Matt and the team at Base is that no matter who you are, if you need help he will be there to give it.       

Matt gives SO MUCH of himself to endurance sport.  He is a guide to blind athletes, he supports and lifts up every type of athlete - regardless of race, belief, ability, or size.  In fact, BASE is one of the only companies who offers INCLUSIVE sizing (all the way to a 4XL) in both men's and women's gear. 

So #whythisteam?  I have found some amazing friends near and far through this family. I have never felt less than or unworthy - I have never felt any divide or playing favorites on the team.  I have always felt that everyone was welcome and had a voice, had a support system, had love - not just in theory but in reality.  Why this team?  Because Matt has made a space that is fun, enjoyable, free from drama, and focused on one thing and one thing only.  FAMILY. 




  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the hardest part of Ironman? Reflecting back on journeys past and the friend who had the audacity to call me out on my fears.